The J. D. Marshall capsized on June 11, 1911 and four lives were lost. Three crew members were below deck when the vessel turned over and one member of the crew was found dead at the surface (Evening News 1911). Reportedly the J. D. Marshall set out onto Lake Michigan that day and collected approximately 400 yards of sand but sprung a leak at about 5 pm (Evening News 1911). The vessel lay at anchor already taking on water when a storm arose causing the sand in the hull to shift and the vessel rolled over. It apparently floated close to shore several days after capsizing and served as a local attraction for a short while (Ellis 1985:7). At the time of the sinking the J. D. Marshall was owned by J. O. Neesen and Company (Milwaukee Public Library 1959; Wisconsin Marine Historical Society 2011)
Notes from the field:
Our field house is a historic 1880’s house adjacent to the historic Feallock house. In the front yard of the house is the rudder and winch to the J.D. Marshal. The rudder is in need of some tender care, but that is what typically happens to artifacts salvaged from shipwrecks. We have beautiful and practical accommodations. Web would like to thank Jan from Feallock house for all herb assistance and generosity. Love the fact that we’re are doing a historic shipwreck survey and we are staying in a historic house!
Today was our first day out – trouble shooting problems with the boat and electrical. But we did make it out on Lake Michigan. It was a beautiful day. Sidescan is working great but the downscan is not working so great. More trouble shooting… Thanks to Chuck, Todd, and Sara from CMS Marine. They have been awesome helping with the boat. The boat does not have a name. Suggestions? Please leave some feedback and let us know what we should call out boat.
Thanks and Cheers 🙂